The Rules:

The Word of the Week is being brought back by popular demand!

The contest made its debut in summer 2007, with many staff members actively involved as participants.

Every Wednesday a new word will be made available. It's your job to use this word in a creative way. In 2007, the judges asked that the word be used in a sentence, but you library folk proved to be much more clever! We received poems, prose, letters - you name it!

The entries are judged based on originality and creativity. Entries must be submitted via email to smu.wow@gmail.com by 3pm on Tuesday.

The winning entry will revealed on this blog the following day (Wednesday), and the winner will be awarded a prize - including the much-coveted Word of the Week trophy. Serious bragging rights, people!

If you're looking for ideas, inspiration, or nostalgia, swing by Shannon's desk and take a peek at past entries in the Word of the Week binder.


We look forward to your submissions, and good luck!

Tuesday 31 May 2011

Malinger - The Entries

malinger, v.
 To pretend or exaggerate illness in order to escape duty or work; to feign or produce physical or psychological symptoms to obtain financial compensation or other reward. (Originally used of soldiers and sailors.)



Malinger
On contemplating the medical
dangers of Word of the Week

Oh my gosh,
I hurt my finger.
Is this reason
to malinger?

Finger's worse --
maybe infection
Hone my illness
to perfection.

Oh my God!
My finger's blue.
Panic! Angst!
What will I do?

Calm your nerves,
says Dr. Sven.
Your "gangrene"
means a leaky pen.

-Doug Vaisey



Malinger
As I lay in bed one morn
My thoughts ran through my list to do.
There was ma laundry, ma cleaning, ma groceries, and more!
I got so weary at the thought
I opted to malinger where I lie.

Brenda Bentley



Malinger
John Munroe Faker

I’ll tell you a story about my brother. 
Malinger should have been his middle name.
For when supper was done and the chores doled out
His excuse is what led to his fame.

His words were so blunt.
“I’m gonna barf!” he would yell.
That chameleon could make his face turn green.
At that, my mother would whisk him away, leaving my sister and I to clean.

Clang, bang, go the dishes, the pots and the pans.
Clang, bang, we scour, dry, and shelve them away.
Our work now complete, silence settles upon the place.
And we know, yes we know,  his recovery is well underway.

Our dear  brother, John Munroe Faker.

-Nancy Wilson



Malinger
I really did cut my little finger
When I made my rye and ginger
As I listened to the singer….
Doya hafta
Doya hafta
Doya hafta let it malingerrrrrr

-Sue Cannon



AND THE WINNING ENTRY IS...


Malinger

A phone call.

“Hello Sue? It’s Trish…

Not good, not good at all…

I’m calling in sick today…

Why? Well, ‘cause I have a paper cut on my finger!

What? Malinger? Hmph! I DO NOT malinger!”

*Uttering under breath* “at least I’m not dipsomaniacal”

-Trish Grelot


Congratulation Trish!  First entry ever!  A natural!

No comments:

Post a Comment